When it comes to home improvements, there are so many things a person can do to update the look of their home. Whether you are planning to pressure wash a deck or even pave your patio or refinish your hardwood flooring, an update can not only make your home look better, but it can also increase your home value. Even planting a garden or new trees in your yard is a good idea. If you are trying to sell your home, simple updates like removing or replacing old wallpaper is a good way to make sure possible buyers like what they see so they will want to place a bid on the home.
Removing wall paper is a chore and one that not many people want to undertake. When you must tear it down, you need to make sure that you have some tips to ensure that the process goes much smoother. Wall paper will fight to come off, which can cause a large headache for many. Wall paper is currently not used very often, so it is important to note that in some cases, just putting the wall covering that you want to have up over it might be more practical. However, other wall coverings might require the wall paper to come down.
Tips for Wall Paper Removal
- Mix liquid fabric softener with water and paint brush it on the wall. Let the mixture soak for 20 minutes and then start to remove the paper. It should easily peel right off.
- Use steam to remove the wall paper from the walls. When it becomes wet, it can be removed much easier than if it is dry.
- Always use a scraper to remove the wall paper from the walls. You want to use something durable, since wall paper will stick and without a sharp, durable tool to help you remove the paper, it can become harder to remove from the walls.
- Is the wall paper used strippable? Sometimes, wall paper is made to be removed with ease. A lot of times just getting one edge of the paper up can help you rip down the rest of it easily. Sometimes however, the wall paper is not strippable, which is going to mean that you need to put a bit more effort into removing it.
- Soak the paper as much as possible using warm water. When you soak it, you’re able to wet the paste that is behind the paper. When it is wet, you can then easily remove it from the walls.
- There are chemicals that were specially made to remove wall paper from the walls. By using these chemicals, you’re able to easily remove the paper since it was made for this! However, a lot of people choose not to use these chemicals since they can be harsh.
- Mix vinegar with boiling water to create a mixture that can be sprayed on the wall paper. Let it sit for five mins and then remove the paper. This should be done in spots and not all at once. You want the water to stay hot while working, since this is what is going to help break down the adhesive on the wall paper.
- Mix a teaspoon of baking soda, liquid dish soap and hot water together to create a paste. Use the hot paste over the wall paper and let sit for a minute. Easily scrape off the paper and the mixture that you put over the paper.
Remember, it is best to hire a contractor for any household work that needs to be done. When you have a good contractor, you can ensure that you save time and energy pulling down wall paper, since you can have them do this, then provide you with the beautiful walls that you want.
Removing wall paper should not be hard to do. It should provide you with a way to do something new on the walls around you. It can provide you with a way to enjoy more out of the room you’re remodeling. Of course, if you do not have the time or effort that is needed, it is always best to speak with a contractor that can come out and provide you with the help needed.