Paving: Benefits of Using Asphalt over Other Alternatives
Thinking of hiring a contractor to pave your driveway? Don’t settle for less. Contractors Today has put together a list of well-reputed asphalt companies experienced in constructing roads, driveways and even entire parking lots. We are the best in the game, and the best only recommends strategies guaranteed to give results.
Asphalt is a composite material with pretty special characteristics that have made it the most suitable material used for road surfacing together with pavements, parking lots, airports, and even the interior dam embankments. Asphalt basically consists of mineral aggregates that are bound together with bitumen (a black, sticky and highly viscous semi-solid petroleum compound). Contractors all over the globe, both private and government contractors recommend using asphalt for construction of paving thanks to its universal benefits. Let’s have a look at them.
Benefits of Using Asphalt over Other Alternatives?
- Affordability Asphalt is a naturally-occurring composite. Its mining is rather cheap in comparison to other materials. This also translates to its sales. Paving projects can be expensive, especially if the paving stretches for a couple miles. However, asphalt is a low-cost material. The ration used per every mile of asphalt is significantly less compared to concrete and other alternatives. The chemical composition of the asphalt itself consists of bitumen, a highly viscous component that compacts and solidifies its molecules. The effect of this that fewer amounts are used for surfacing the paving, making the whole project cost-effective.
- Time Saving The installation process is pretty straight forward. Contractors have an easy process of pouring the asphalt on the ground and flattening it. It also takes less time to dry out, thereby significantly reducing the time frame that clients would have to deal with any inconvenience caused by the entire process. This also ripples out to less traffic jams in the long run.
- Durability Paved surfaces are in constant use every day. Pedestrians, bicycles, and trucks of all weights use such areas every day. Putting into consideration the constant use, and especially heavy duty trucks, plus extreme weather conditions, wear and tear is inevitable after a couple of years. However, asphalt paving is more tear and weather-resistant compared to other alternative paving. The paving will stand for decades before and significant repairs have to be done.
- Long – Term Cost Effectiveness Thanks to asphalt’s durability, the long term financial feasibility implications are also lowered a great deal due to the reduced need for repairs and replacement every couple years unlike other alternatives. In case there’s need for minor repairs such as cracks or resealing the roads, the process is quick and cost-effective. Moreover, the minor repairs will save you a lot of hassle before the problem escalates. After decades of use, a fast and efficient overhaul can be done. It, in the long run, proves to be a more budget-friendly option.
- Flexibility Roads, parking lots, driveways, and other asphalt areas expand and contract thanks to pressure from consistent usage and extreme weather conditions. Asphalt paving is significantly more flexible compared to most other alternatives. It allows the pavement to accommodate changes in weather, soil, and pressure, reducing the risk of cracking and even more so, crumbling. This characteristic is more advantageous to sloppy paving that is more prone to cracking.
- Safety and Performance Asphalt paving is more performance-oriented than other alternatives. Asphalt favors most kinds of traffic it encounters. The surface durability favors heavy load trucks. Heavy usage by long haul trucks and other kinds of trucks of several thousand tons is easily catered for. For fast speed road users, asphalt provides safety thanks to its flat nature and strong tire grip. Drivers are considered safe from skidding and splash-back. Asphalt shines less during extremely sunny days, so visibility on the road markings isn’t compromised either. Ice and snow also melt away faster on asphalt paving than on any other alternative paving.
- Eco-friendliness Contractor firms near you with a green policy recommend asphalt for paving thanks to its eco-friendly nature. Asphalt is a 100% recyclable material that can be used over and over again. It has a life cycle of about two decades. When it is worn out, a whole overhaul can be easily done, with 99.9% of it taken through an in-place hot mix plant for recycling. Companies and the population at large have the social responsibility to maintain a level of green policy. After all, the earth will be here long after our lifetimes. That is why asphalt is recommended for most constructions.Wondering why asphalt? Now you know.