Mold Removal: When To Call A Contractor

Mold forms—and thrives—when there is excess moisture in your home. And when there’s mold formation in your home, you need to get rid of it, or you and your family are bound to put up with its consequences.

Mold per se isn’t bad. When this type of fungus forms outdoors, it plays an important role in our ecosystem as it’s instrumental in the breakdown of dead leaves, plants, and trees. But when they favor the inside of your home because of all that extra moisture, you are going to have to get mold removal done before it’s too late.

Where mold usually forms

Any damp area in your home is a preferred spot for mold. If your bathroom has poor ventilation, the mold will eventually form on its walls, floors, and even on shower curtains. Another favorite breeding ground for mold is basement floors, particularly in areas close to water heaters and sump pumps. A plumbing leak can also cause mold to form and grow. If your roof has a problem and rainwater is seeping through, your ceilings and walls are likely to be home to mold in no time.

Appearance

There are different types of mold, and their appearance varies widely as well.  Some mold growth may look like slimy spots. Other mold types look like fuzzy patches. Mold comes in different colors as well, including green, black, purple, orange, and white.

Mold smells

When your nose picks up a musty smell inside your home, then it’s likely that mold has already invaded it. Consider yourself fortunate if you smell mold and you can immediately see where it has formed. You’d be in for a much bigger problem if you don’t see any mold formation anywhere yet the musty smell is strong because that means the mold is inside the walls or ceiling, a spot that is much more difficult to deal with.

Mold can affect your health

In small amounts, mold spores don’t usually cause health issues unless the person involved is sensitive to it. However, when inhaled in larger quantities, mold spores can trigger sneezing, skin rashes, coughing, runny noses, red eyes, and other allergic reactions. Those with severe mold allergies, meanwhile, may also experience asthma attacks or shortness of breath if they inhale mold spores.

You can get rid of mold yourself

If your mold problem isn’t that severe, then you can get rid of it yourself using vinegar, which can kill more than 80% of mold species.

Spray some vinegar onto the affected area, leave it there for approximately one hour, then wipe the area with a wet rag. Make sure the area stays mold-free by doing this every few days.

Aside from vinegar, you can use bleach, hydrogen peroxide, ammonia, borax, and detergent water to get rid of minor mold growths.

When to call in the mold experts

Vinegar or bleach won’t do you much good if the mold growth covers an area bigger than 10 square feet. For a huge mold infestation, only mold removal professionals will be able to deal with it effectively.

The training and equipment of mold removal experts will come into play for mold problems of such magnitude. Apart from cleaning up the mold, they will also determine where the dampness comes from and fix it once they trace it. If the mold has damaged certain parts of your home, you can trust mold removal pros to replace them and restore your home to its former state by the time they’re done.

Never go the DIY route when the mold infestation is too big for you to handle. Leave severe mold problems in the hands of mold removal professionals.